Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Johannesburg bound

This Friday I will be leaving the USA for three months to work at David Krut Projects in Johannesburg, South Africa.

A few interesting facts about Johannesburg:

It is the only major city that is not built on or near a major navigable body of water. This means that when the city was originally founded (before the modern conveniences of roads and airplanes) all items had to be brought in by ox-wagon.

Johannesburg is also the worlds largest man-made forest. This is because as soon as people began to settle there they started planting trees. This has been of tremendous benefit to the city which was once considered a dust bowl.

Johannesburg is home to internationally renowned artist William Kentridge. He often works with David Krut Projects to produce fine art pint series.

I hope to get a real sense of the city and I hope that it will be a beneficial experience for myself as well as the team at DKP.

During my time there I will be helping to edition fine art prints in the studio as well as teaching bookmaking workshops to South African teachers and students. I really hope that fine art bookmaking can be incorporated into the cannon of amazing work that comes out of South Africa.

I'll try to keep this blog updated more for family, friends and future reference.
More on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment