Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

One month down! Time truly flies...

I cant believe I've been here a month already! So far I have no complaints, Johannesburg has been great to me. I spent last weekend in Pretoria for the University's Rag fest. It was cool to get out of Joburg and meet some Pretorians. I bought a ticket to Ragfest not really knowing what it was but I'm glad I did as they sold out before we even went in. I got to see Jack Parow, if you havent heard of him check out the video:


BTW he's speaking Afrikans. Pretty silly, huh?


Almost finished with Kentridge's Universal Archive just three days at the beginning of the week of paper tearing, counting, numbering, and signing.

In preparation for printing Locust Jones' editions I spent a few days in paper tearing purgatory at the beginning of the week as well

On Tuesday Talya and I started proofing Locust's block with a Jaguar. We had to leave the print to dry overnight to be sure that it would dry the right color

Talya inking the huge linocut

The finished proof that will be printed this coming week

On Wednesday we began editioning two of Locust's smaller blocks. 

Talya printed the first layer of crackdown (on the right) and I got to print Rhinocut (left) if that's not the best title of a linocut print I don't know what is. I giggled about it like a five year old the whole day. 

The faces of pure concentration

The composite roller they have is heavy for its size but it was great to work with such a nicely cared for roller.

Another one of Locusts images that we proofed 

On Wednesday we had a BBC film crew come in to film the shop. Its for a three part series documenting Contemporary African Art. Should be interesting and I may or may not be in it (in the background hahahaha)

William Kentridge was in the shop on Wednesday and Thursday signing what we had prepared of the Universal Archive

He also had a few pages to tear and put back together

Friday was a great day of working with Talya and Stephen Hobbs. Stephen has a couple of images to finish up before we start editioning them in the next couple of weeks. We also discussed the pop up book and I went home with a new pop up mission. 
Friday was also Talya's birthday! Se we had a little celebration in the morning. 

Saturday, Jill took me around Joburg to see some shops and galleries. I also met Lisa Jaffe, a friend of Jill and the owner of Guillotine Design. Her clothes are absolutely impeccable! I'm so impressed with the designers I've seen here so far, the style is so unique and interesting. Black Coffee is another really cool designer boutique with some sweet looking clothes. Later on in the day we hopped on a van to the Nirox Foundation about an hour outside of the city, near the Cradle of Humanity. They were having an event for Dineo Sheeshee Bopape as she was concluding her residency at Nirox. The main event was a screening of her film that she had worked on while at Nirox. 


Nirox Residence. This is where Dineo stayed during her residency. 

Nirox is on a huge property that is occupied by different game animals that can be seen sometimes wandering about on the property (usually in the mornings though)

There are lots of ponds, streams, bridges, and waterfalls on the property. It was great to get out of the city for an evening and soak in some nature



Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment